A power-packed recipe to warm up cold winter nights.
In addition to the traditional immunological benefits of chicken soup, this recipe adds the unique contributions of shiitake mushrooms, garlic, lemon, and dark-leafy greens. Their integrated effect, plus a healthy dose of carotenoids (vitamin A) via broccoli and sweet potato, give this soup an immunity-protecting, medicinal punch! For a vegetarian alternative, simply omit the chicken, add more chickpeas (and/or tofu) and make the stock vegetable-based!
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 (or more) cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1-2 tsp curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1-2 tsp coriander powder
- Toasted sesame oil
- Canola oil (GMO-free, in glass container)
- 1-2 cups sweet potato, julienned or cubed carrots
- 1 package sliced shiitake mushrooms/equivalent
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Pastora or similar cream sherry
- Butternut squash soup base
- 1/2 to 1 whole (fresh) lemon
- Vegetable or organic chicken stock
- 1 can organic chickpeas
- 1/2 organic rotisserie chicken (or less)
- 1 large bunch fresh basil (or more)
Optional Additions and Substitutions
- Sweet potato soup base (instead of squash base)
- Fresh lime (instead of lemon)
- Cayenne pepper (add to taste)
Sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and spices in toasted sesame and canola oils. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add sweet potato (or carrots) and sauté for another 7 minutes.
Add shiitake mushrooms and sauté for several minutes until cooked down.
Add broccoli florets and sauté for several minutes.
Deglaze with cream sherry, soup base, lemon, and stock.
Add can of organic chickpeas, along with rotisserie chicken and, lastly, fresh basil.
Adjust amounts of spices, stock, and sherry.