A magical soup with a tasty bouquet of flavors to welcome springtime.
How’s this for an inspiring nutrition cuisine combo—lycopene-rich tomatoes, the immunological powers of shiitake mushrooms, savory turkey, and the unique flavor of tarragon? And don’t forget the ever-popular avocado, with its lutein and monounsaturated fats, for a tasty finish!
- 1 medium white/red onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3 tsp dried tarragon
- EVOO and/or canola oil (GMO-free in glass container)
- 1½ cup cubed carrots
- 1 package sliced shiitake mushrooms (larger pieces cut in half)
- 1 bunch (or more) fresh asparagus, chopped into two-inch lengths
- ¼ cup Doña Luisa or similar cream sherry
- 1 box cream of tomato or red pepper tomato soup base (organic)
- 1–2 cups vegetable or organic chicken/turkey stock or bone broth
- 1 can rinsed white/cannellini beans (organic)
- ½ rotisserie turkey (or less), chopped into bite-sized chunks
- ½-1 red bell pepper (organic), diced
- Avocado (several chunks)
Optional Additions and Substitutions
- Lemon olive oil (instead of EVOO)
- Fresh lemon, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Dollop of low-fat sour cream
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1 bunch bok choy, sautéed separately (with EVOO and finished with fresh lemon)
Sauté the onion, garlic, and tarragon in EVOO and canola oils for about 4 minutes.
Add carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes.
Add shiitake mushrooms and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Add asparagus and sauté for 2 minutes.
Deglaze with cream sherry, soup base, and stock.
Add can of organic white beans, along with rotisserie turkey and red bell pepper.
Adjust amounts of spices, stock, and sherry to taste.
Serve with several chunks of avocado on top—and perhaps with whole grain bruschetta on the side!