A superfood stir-fry with a tasty broth and immune-boosting ingredients!
This cross between a stir-fry and a stew is a good example of the culinary principle, mise en place (“put in place”). If the onion, garlic, ginger, broccoli, shiitake, sherry, and other ingredients are prepped and portioned in advance, then this dish will practically make itself! A “culture-clash” creation, this stew draws on Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Thai, and even Middle Eastern traditions, producing a complex flavor. Its ingredients are reminiscent of my Immunity Soup, to which are added the probiotic qualities of a mellow miso. Note: The “pesco” element can be dropped if desired, creating an entirely vegan dish.
- ½–¾ lb scallops, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced (or bottled/pre-minced)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- Canola and/or grapeseed oil (GMO-free, in glass container)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, diced or julienned
- ½ large broccoli head, chopped into half florets
- 5 oz Shiitake mushrooms (larger pieces cut in half)
- 1-1½ cups chopped red bell peppers
- 13.5 oz can organic coconut milk (light if possible)
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup (or more) scallop liquid
- 1 can organic chickpeas or cannellini beans or tofu (½ package or more)
- 4 tbsp cream sherry
- ½ fresh organic lemon, juiced
- 2½ tbsp mellow white (or similar) miso
- 1½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- SOBA noodles (gluten-free preferable) or brown rice, cooked separately
Optional Additions and Substitutions
- Fresh lime (instead of lemon)
- 2 leeks (instead of onion)
- Cilantro (instead of fresh basil)
- Green beans (instead of broccoli)
- Miso stock (instead of vegetable stock)
Simmer scallops in 1½ cups water or vegetable broth for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
Sauté the onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, and coriander powder in canola oil (and toasted sesame oil) in a large (stainless steel) stir-fry pan for about 4 minutes. Add the chopped sweet potato and sauté another 5-6 minutes with additional canola oil. Add broccoli and shiitake mushrooms and sauté another 4 minutes. Add bell pepper and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
Deglaze with lemon, sherry, vegetable and scallop stocks and coconut milk.
Add scallops and chickpeas/cannellini beans/tofu.
Remove ¾ cup of hot liquid from stir-fry to a small bowl. Mash in miso paste and add back to the stir-fry stew.
While continuing to gently heat stew, add basil leaves and pomegranate molasses a minute or two before serving.
Serve over SOBA noodles or brown rice.